What Trich is and how it relates to OCD.
- This disorder causes much secretiveness and this will or may account for the low percentage of the reported cases. But as many as 1 to 2% of college students have had Trich at 1 time.
- A person will pull out hers/his hair, hair from any part of the body may be targeted out but scalp, eyelashes and eyebrows are most common. This behavior results in noticeable hair loss and will cause much distress and shame to the person.
- Just before pulling out the hair or when attempting to inhibit the desire, they will feel an increasing subjective sense of tension. Initially this action will bring relief, gratifications or pleasure, until they fully realize what the effects are.
- For some, this is an action they seem almost unaware off until they "wake up" from that state in which they pull out their hair.
People have stated that after a phone call they would have no eyelashes left.
- The most efficient treatment has been found to be Cognitive- Behavioral Therapy in combination with medication. Clomipramine is commonly prescribed for treating Trich.
- As you can see are there many similarities between Trich and CSP and Nail Biting, the shame, the 2 ways on which the behavior is based ( Automatic or Pleasure/Relief.) and the way they are treated.
|Useful links concerning Trich.:|
- Where Else Can Help Be Obtained for Depression?...
- Depression and Related Affective Disorders Association.
- Welcome to Dr. Ivan's DEPRESSION CENTRAL. "This site is Internet's central clearinghouse for information on all types of depressive disorders and on the most effective treatments for individuals suffering from Major Depression, Manic-Depression (Bipolar Disorder), Cyclothymia, Dysthymia and other mood disorders."
- Depression Reality: Information and Support.
- Mood Disorders Unit, Depression. Site with loads of information on depression, with a very easy to use overview.
- Genetics and Biochemistry of Depression.(*) A great section on the Mood Disorders Unit site which will explain more about the genetics behind Depression.
- All About Depression. "We are dedicated to providing accurate, current, and relevant information about clinical depression to the general public."
- Genetic Causes of Depression. Part of the All About Depression Site.